Saturday, August 6, 2016

For Those Considering Bible Tabs for Bible Journaling

This post is too long to put on my Facebook Bible journaling groups timelines, but I wanted to give a heads up to those considering Bible tabs.  I speak from a not so good experience.

1.  Consider using Washi tapes to cover the edges of first page of each book of the Bible.  This may be a sufficient divider for those familiar with the order of the books.  The tapes also provide added support for tabs if you want to use them.  Almost all sellers of tabs warn you not to use the tabs to pull open the Bible to any book because the pages are too thin to support that stress.
2  Decide if you want the tabs to extend past the front and back covers of you Bible when it is closed.  If you do not want them to protrude past the cover, then measure just how much space you have between the edges of the pages and the edges of the covers.  If this space is less than 3/8" or even 1/2", you may not be able to read the tab letters when it is placed within the edges.  You should check the size of the tabs carefully.  (I purchased large, beautiful, laminated tabs thinking they would be easier to read and they were too large for the space.)
3.  If you have already begun journaling and already have artwork on the first page of any book, check to see if you have room for a tab placement.  On some pages, I had to cover up parts of my art.
4. Start from Revelations and work forward.  This will allow you to space the tabs to your preferences.  You will be able to see what you have already done beneath your current work.  Since I had already done journaling on some first pages, I put those tabs on first and worked around them as I proceeded from back to front.
5.  Do not strive for perfection in the placement of the tabs unless the rest of your journaling is perfect.:)  Mine are spaced randomly from the top to the bottom of the pages, some 3 deep, some 4 and some 5.  Since they are all different designs and backgrounds, it doesn't matter.
6.  Most tabs cannot be moved once in place without tearing the page.  Think seriously, measure carefully and plan ahead.  It might be advisable to practice with "cut to size" sticky notes.

If I had it to do over, I would have been more careful before I purchased and then placed improper size tabs on my Bible.  At this point, I will call it another attempt at creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment